Upskilling continues to be a huge focus for the Singapore government. Complementing the SkillsFuture initiative, NTUC members can tap on the Union Training Assistance Programme (UTAP) for heavily subsidise training costs. UTAP funding has been extended until 31 December 2022.
Employers can encourage their employees to go for training to upskill and/or learn new skills. Some ways to do this include funding the course fees (especially for upskilling in areas encompassing their job scope), as well as offering time off for them to pursue other training they may prefer.
However, in particular for this article, employers should note that they cannot fund/subsidise course fees if their employees also want to be eligible for UTAP funding.
How Much Fee Support Do You Receive With UTAP?
NTUC members enjoy 50% unfunded course fee support for up to $250 each year when they sign up for courses supported under UTAP. Between 1 July 2020 to 31 December 2022, NTUC members aged 40 and above can enjoy higher funding support up to $500 each year, capped at 50% of unfunded course fees. This excludes GST, registration fees, and other miscellaneous fees, etc.
|Fee Breakdown||WSQ Certificate in Workplace Safety & Health|
|Full Course Fees (before Subsidy)||$1,500|
|Less Government Subsidy (e.g. 90%)||-$1,350|
|Course Fee Payable (after Subsidy)||$150|
|Less UTAP Funding (50% of Course Fee payable after Government Subsidy)||-$75|
Note: Unfunded course fee refers to the balance course fee payable after applicable government subsidy.
UTAP-Eligible Online/ Blended Training Courses
You can view the list of available courses on the NTUC LearningHub website. The content covered includes:
- Personal Effectiveness
- People and Performance Management
- Critical Thinking and Analytical Skills
- Project management
- Meeting Basic Hygiene Needs
- Meeting Clinical Care Needs
- Digital Marketing
- Excel Spreadsheet Functions
- Data Analytics
Workplace Safety & Health
- F&B Safety and Hygiene Policies and Procedures
- Construction Safety
- Recognising Terrorist Threats
- Managing Disorderly Conduct & Threatening Behaviour
- Providing Guard and Patrol Services
Depending on the course taken, participants who successfully complete the courses can obtain such accreditation as:
- Statement of Attainment (SOA) by SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG)
- NTUC LearningHub Certificate of Completion
- ICDL Certificate
- Advanced certificate and transcript
NTUC has also partnered institutes of higher learning to offer UTAP-eligible online/ blended training courses. One such training provider is the Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS), which offers online/ blended courses.
Who Qualifies For UTAP
All NTUC members can apply for UTAP. However, the following criteria must be met to be eligible for UTAP:
- Paid-up union membership before course commenced, throughout whole course duration and at the point of claim
- Course by training provider must be supported under UTAP, and training must commence within the supported period
- Course must not be fully funded through company sponsorship or other types of funding
- Unfunded course fee must be S$20 and above
- You must achieve a minimum of 75% attendance for each application and sat for all prescribed examination(s), if any
How to Apply for UTAP
From 1 April 2020, upfront UTAP claims can be made, instead of only claiming after course completion. Refer to this UTAP Step-by-Step Application Guide should you need assistance.
To support your UTAP claim, you may be requested to submit a copy of your course certificate/tax invoice/statement of attendance via email. Do keep a copy of your supporting documents for audit checks when necessary.
If you require more information:
Membership hotline: 6213 8008 (Monday – Friday 9.00am to 5.30pm and Saturday 9.00am to 12.30pm)
Enquiry/ feedback form: https://www.ntuc.org.sg/wps/portal/up2/home/feedback
Email: [email protected]
Counter services at One Marina Boulevard, #B1-03, are available by appointment only. Operating hours are from 10 am to 4 pm, from Monday to Friday (exclude Public Holidays).
Power your business with Digital Business Banking Solutions
OCBC Velocity helps you view all your accounts details, comes integrated with E-Invoicing and cash management capabilities as well as access to our award-winning trade financing solutions. Use OCBC Velocity, your business in your hand.
Join The DollarsAndSense Business Community
For more content that helps entrepreneurs, freelancers, and self-employed individuals and learn to build better businesses, join the DollarsAndSense Business Community on Facebook.