The P-Max place-and-train programme was launched in 2015 to help SMEs 1) better recruit, train and manage, and retain their newly-hired Professionals, Managers, Executives and Technicians (PMETs). It is a heavily subsidised scheme by the Workforce Singapore (WSG), building on the Max Talent programme.
Due to COVID-19, there is a large pool of job seekers in the market today – new graduates who cannot find jobs and those retrenched looking for new employment.
Many of these job seekers are PMETs and older workers. According the Ministry of Manpower (MOM), over half of those retrenched in the first half of 2020 were PMETs. Close to 40% of those retrenched were above 50 years also.
How Do SMEs Benefit From Taking Up The P-Max Programme
By taking up the P-Max programme, SMEs can claim up to $10,000 in grant as well as leverage on subsidised training. SMEs who retain their newly-hired PMET for six months will be eligible for a $5,000 Assistance Grant or up to $10,000 Assistance Grant for PMETs above age 50 (under P-Max for Older Workers).
SMEs can send their PMETs for a two to three-day workshop to learn the skills needed to work in an SME. The workshop modules include workplace ethics and performance reviews. There is also a one-day workshop for SME supervisors to learn communication skills.
Depending on SMEs’ needs, there are three P-Max options:
|SME Needs||P-Max Options|
|SME hiring PMETs||P-Max|
|SME hiring PMETs, older workers who are Singapore Citizen age 50 years & above||P-Max for Older Workers|
|Non-hiring SMEs||P-Max Lite|
You can refer to the P-Max factsheet for more details on the programme.
Who Is P-Max Programme Meant For?
P-Max is for both employers and job seekers.
- Local SMEs looking to hire PMETs
- Local SMEs looking to improve their HR practices within the organisation
- Job-seeking PMETs who are Singapore Citizens or Singaporean Permanent Residents, looking for a career with SMEs
How Does The P-Max Programmes Work?
P-Max and P-Max for Older Workers
- Job Matching – Job-seeking PMETs will be screened and matched into suitable positions in hiring SMEs by Programme Managers (PMs). SMEs with newly-hired PMETs are also eligible to participate.
- Training – PMETs’ supervisors and their newly-hired PMETs will attend the workshops listed here:
|2/3-Day PMET workshop||PMETs will learn to: |
– Better acclimatise to and take on SME jobs
|1-Day SME workshop||SME Supervisors will learn to: |
– Better communicate with their newly-hired PMETsAdopt and incorporate progressive HR best practices/guideliness within their SMEs
|1-Day Age management workshop(P-Max for Older Workers only)||SME Reps will learn to: |
– Better communicate and manage their newly-hired older worker
– Adopt and incorporate age management practices within their SMEs
All workshops enjoy up to 90% WSG course fee funding for Singaporean and PRs.
- Post-training follow-up – Upon completion of both workshops, the appointed P-Max PMs will follow-up with the newly-trained PMET personnel and their SME supervisor for a period of six months.
- Assistance Grant – SMEs that successfully complete the six-month follow-up and retain their newly-hired PMET employee will then be eligible for a one-off grant of $5,000 or $10,000 Assistance Grant (P-Max for Older Workers only).
- Training – non-hiring SMEs interested in building up their human capital capabilities within their organisation can send their supervisor(s) to attend the SME workshop and enjoy up to 90% WSG course fee funding for Singaporeans and PRs.
What Are The Benefits For SMEs?
P-Max and P-Max for Older Workers
Hiring SMEs can seek assistance from PMs to help screen and refer suitable job-seeking PMETs for their job vacancies under the Programme.
Participating SMEs can also enjoy up to 90% course fee subsidy for PMETs who are Singaporeans or PRs, SME training workshops and Age Management workshop (applicable for P-Max for Older Worker only), while eligible SMEs will receive a one-time $5,000 Assistance Grant or $10,000 Assistance Grant (P-Max for Older Workers only) upon completion of the Programme and six month retention of the newly hired PMET(s).
The Assistance Grant is capped at $10,000 for SMEs under the P-Max for Older Worker programme, and $5,000 for other PMETs. This is also a one-off grant rather than for each employee. Training subsidies continue to apply for each PMET sent for the workshops.
Non-hiring SMEs can enjoy up to 90% course fee subsidy for the SME training workshop under P-Max Lite. This programme targets non-hiring supervisors in SMEs who are keen to learn progressive HR practices to better manage their existing staff. Course fee funding will be provided for non-hiring SME supervisors to attend the SME workshop which will cover progressive HR-related topics, such as goal setting and performance management tools and an introduction to an HR toolkit. SMEs under P-Max Lite will not be eligible for the assistance grant.
What Is The Eligibility Criteria To Apply For P-Max?
SMEs need to meet the following eligibility criteria to qualify for the P-Max programme:
- Companies registered or incorporated in Singapore;
- Employment size (at group level) of not more than 200; OR Annual sales turnover (at group level) of not more than S$100 million;
- At least 30% local shareholding being held by Singapore Citizen or Singapore Permanent Resident
- Hired a PMET within the last three months (i.e. 90 days) prior to enrolment into programme, offering a gross monthly salary of at least $2,500
PMETs also need to meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be a Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident who is keen to pursue a full-time career in an SME; and
- Possess educational qualifications that are Diploma or higher, or employed/have prior work experience in a PMET position; and
- Have graduated or completed National Service (NS) for a minimum period of 12 months
For the P-Max for Older Workers, eligibile PMETs will need to meet all the above criteria as well as be aged 50 years old and above.
To apply, you can contact the following Programme Managers.
|Association of Small and Medium Enterprises (ASME)||6513 0349 / firstname.lastname@example.org||www.pmax.sg|
|Singapore Manufacturing Federation (SMF)||6826 3051 / email@example.com||www.pmaxsingapore.com/|
|Singapore National Employers Federation (SNEF)||6827 firstname.lastname@example.org||www.p-max.sg|
|Workforce Advancement Federation (WAF)||9779 email@example.com||pmax.waf.org.sg|
Open A New Business Banking AccountLooking for a bank account for all your business transactions? The OCBC Business Banking provides a wide range of business accounts for you to choose from so that you can find the most suitable account for your business needs.
Join The DollarsAndSense Business Community
For more content that helps entrepreneurs, freelancers, and self-employed individuals and learn to build better businesses, join the DollarsAndSense Business Community on Facebook.